This creepy creation is a last-minute improvisation made with clothes from a giveaway bag that was in my trunk. The head was made from a pillow-case stuffed with remay. Looks kinda stupid but it worked. The crows left these little seedlings alone. This is two weeks after planting.
Actually had some frost damage in April, that’s why it looks a little sparse on the bottom right.
Weeding has been much easier this year thanks to the rows. I still planted by broadcasting the seeds but before I did this I made 5 furrows per bed, so when I broadcast the seeds they more or less fell into the furrows. I then dragged my hoe in between to bury them.
Here’s what it’s looking like today, the Chevalier (front three beds) is racing ahead of the Maris Otter. I’ve installed the anti-lodging chicken wire for these and left the Maris Otter since it’s easier to weed without the chicken wire in the way.