This is the first malt made with this years crop of barley. The start of this video was made way back in September of 2015, I just didn’t get around to putting it all together. A surprising result of this experiment was the lack of off flavours from using un-kilned malt and the lack of bitterness I was expecting from including the rootlets in the mash. Perhaps this would be noticeable if I used 100% wind malt. Since this malt is un-kilned it retains it’s enzymes so it has a lot of diastatic power which may be handy to have around when using a large proportion of adjuncts or if you’re trying to make a light dry lager.