Here it is, my first Bygg or Bere beer, either one has a nice ring to it. Yields were very low last summer as everything got swallowed up by weeds but I did manage to come out with about 8 lbs. of Bere. I decided to make a 2.5 gallon batch with 6 lbs malted, 8 oz roasted and then save the rest for planting this year.
Malting- Initial moisture content was 12% I did an unaerated steep in keeping with a more historical malt. I changed the water twice (once every 24 hours) during the 56 hours it steeped. Final moisture content was 48.5 %, a little high so I probably could have taken it out at the 48 hour mark. Ambient temperatures were between 12 and 14C. Germination lasted 10 days. Air-on temperatures for kilning were 25C for 17 hours with a fan, 11 hours at 50-60C without a fan and 3 hours at 185C for a total of 5lbs 3 oz. of malt.
The recipe: I took 3 oz of the Bere malt and roasted it at 400F until it was very dark. I also took an extra 8 oz of raw Bere barley and roasted it at 350 until it was a nice brown colour. For hops, I used some Hallertau for boiling and then some Perle and Saaz at the end for 30 IBU. Yeast: Whitelabs Edinborough Scottish Ale.
Brewing: Just a single infusion at 149F for an hour.
The original gravity was low as expected. According to Beer Tools at 75% efficiency, my O.G. should have been 1.061. Instead, it was 1.051 making the efficiency around 62%. However, my final gravity was very low at 1.002, probably due to my low mash temp. This puts the a.b.v. at 6.3%, slightly higher than the 6.1% predicted by Beer Tools.
The flavour: Clean and dry with some caramel and toasted bread flavours. Very little bitterness present but that’s what I was going for. It’s a very easy drinking beer.